Welders avoid wrist strain with Danish welding machine manufacturer Migatronic winning the prestigious ‘red dot design’ award for its MIG-A torsion welding torch.
The ‘red dot design’ award is one of the most important international prizes awarded for the design of industrial products. It is a German award, but the jury committee includes representatives from the design directorates of companies from all over Europe, the USA and Asia.
The MIG-A Twist torch was first presented at a welding exhibition in Essen, Germany, last autumn. The design of the torch handle ensures that the welder works in an ergonomically compliant position, thus avoiding work-related injuries. It is the handle that is the rotating element in relation to the curved torch and not the other way around, as is the case with traditional moving torches. Regardless of the welding angle, the worker maintains the correct working posture.
Rasmus Falkenberg, industrial designer at Danish design-people, who was involved in the development of Migatronic, talks about the causes of injury and why it is worth choosing the MIG-A Twist:
- The welding torch stands for maintaining high standards of ergonomics, innovation and product usability, giving an overall impression of quality and functionality.
- The award is a mark of recognition for the Danish welding torch, which will be exhibited in a design museum in Germany and will be described in the comprehensive annuals of the award along with other award-winning industrial products.
- The award is a major accolade equivalent to a blue book for industrial products. The rotating function is a revolutionary concept for the MIG-A Twist torch is unique in that it is standard on all Migatronic MIG-A Twist torches and because it is a separate design whereby the handle rotates around the bend of the torch, says Rasmus Falkenberg.
- Torben Henriksen, Migatronic’s product manager, is proud and happy to receive the international design award.
- We very much welcome the industrial design award, but what is equally important to us is that the torch is extremely robust and can be physically connected to all welding machines regardless of their brand. In addition, it has the added benefit of having no moving parts inside the torch that can cause leaks, says Torben Henriksen.